ADMIN: Move Aftermath etc.

Subject: ADMIN: Move Aftermath etc.
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 01:00:04 -0700

Gang,
Two weeks after the move, and here's the scoop. Overall,
the move went quite smoothly, and we're pretty relieved
that nothing really horrid happened.

We're having a few issues with the software (most notably
that both MIME and regular digests are defective, secondarily
that the software needs to be kick-started every few
days), but nothing terribly worrisome. We're working
with the vendor to get the known issues resolved, but
the pre-beta that they supplied last week didn't work,
so we're still waiting. Soon, we hope.

The response to the new ad format and the sponsorships
has been very encouraging. At the risk of sounding like
a stale radio announcer, "Please support our sponsors--they're
making this whole production possible!" The daily
ad/event/job/announcement posting will continue to evolve,
so if you have specific suggestions or issues, let me know.

To anticipate other questions (well, we've been asked this
only once, but...), no, it's not possible to
unsubscribe from the ad posting without unsubscribing from
if you're on the list, you'll get the ads.

We've set the list software to automatically reject messages
with more than 20 consecutive quoted lines, with attachments,
or with HTML formatting, and from all indications, this is doing
a really good job of cleaning out much of the technical
garbage from the list (as well as making digests less susceptible
to crashes). Additionally, the software rejects messages that sound
like they're inappropriate (e.g., messages with a subject line
containing "out of the office"), which also helps.

As always, if you have questions, drop a note to ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot-

Thanks,
Eric and Deborah

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Revised 12 September 1999

BASIC TECHWR-L INFORMATION

Q: What's the best way to change my subscription options,
change my address, subscribe, unsubscribe, or even read
messages on TECHWR-L?
A: Use the Web interface at:
http://lists.raycomm.com/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=techwr-l
(Bookmark it for easy reference.)

Q: How do I subscribe to TECHWR-L?
A: Send a message to:
LYRIS -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM

Leave the subject line blank, and include on the
first line of the message:
SUB TECHWR-L first_name last_name

For example:
SUB TECHWR-L Eric Ray

Q: How do I unsubscribe?
A: Send a message to:
LYRIS -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM

Leave the subject line blank, and include on the
first line of the message:
UNSUB TECHWR-L

Q: How do I post messages to the TECHWR-L list?
A: Send a message to:

Q: What are digests and how do I get them?
A: Digests are daily mailings which include all
postings to TECHWR-L from the last 24 hours. These
are unedited, and unmoderated--they just give you
one big message instead of many little ones.
To get digests (assuming you are a subscriber),
send a message to:
LYRIS -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM

Put anything on the subject line, and include on the
first line of the message:
SET TECHWR-L DIGEST

Q: My digests are coming through as lots of little attachments
rather than a single longer file--can I fix it?
A: Usually you can fix that--although it depends to an extent
on your email system. Try sending a message to:
LYRIS -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM

Put anything on the subject line, and include on the
first line of the message:
SET TECHWR-L DIGEST

Q: My digests are coming through as a single long file
but I'd rather have a bunch of little attachments. Can
I change it?
A: Depending on your mail system, you might be able to change it.
Try sending a message to:
LYRIS -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM

Leave the subject line blank, and include on the
first line of the message:
SET TECHWR-L MIMEDIGEST

Q: I want to stop my mail or digest, but I don't want to unsubscribe
because I hate that confirmation process. What do I do?
A: To stop your mail or digest (assuming you are a subscriber),
send a message to:
LYRIS -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM

Leave the subject line blank, and include on the
first line of the message:
SET TECHWR-L NOMAIL

Q: I stopped my mail using NOMAIL, and now I want regular mail.
What do I do?
A: To change back to regular mail,
send a message to:
LYRIS -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM

Leave the subject line blank, and include on the
first line of the message:
SET TECHWR-L MAIL

Q: I got digests, and now I want regular mail. What do
I do?
A: To change from digests back to regular mail,
send a message to:
LYRIS -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM

Leave the subject line blank, and include on the
first line of the message:
SET TECHWR-L MAIL

Q: I would rather read TECHWR-L through a newsgroup. Is this
possible?
A: Absolutely! The bit.listserv.techwr-l newsgroup (widely
distributed throughout the Internet) is a mirror of this
list. Alternatively, you can now access a private newsgroup
from news://lists.raycomm.com/techwr-l (which is a spam-free

Q: I would like to use a Web browser to read TECHWR-L. Can I?
You can read TECHWR-L through the archive address at
http://lists.raycomm.com/archives/techwr-l.html.
To post, you'll have to subscribe and use the
"SET TECHWR-L NOMAIL" command, as described above.

Q: I'd like to learn more about the list, find topic summaries,
and get all-in-one-spot access to instructions, rules, and
related information about TECHWR-L. Where should I go?
A: Find all of this information and more at the Official

Q: Who is the listowner and how do I contact him?
A: Eric Ray is the owner (that's me), and my address is
EJRAY -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM