Prompt as ask

Subject: Prompt as ask
From: Jim Cort <jcort -at- totaltel -dot- com>
To: "'techwrites'" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 14:12:43 -0400

Here's a question related to a couple of threads that have been twisting
around lately.

Have you ever used "prompt" as a synonym for "ask"?

Like so:

<A "yes" answer allows the system to find any new or invalid wuddleblups and
prompt the user whether the new wuddleblups should be added and the invalid
ones deleted.>

This was in a document I got from a developer. At first I changed it, but
then I thought using the word "prompt" connected it to the action on the
screen: a system prompt to which the user must respond. So then I changed
it back.

What do you guys think?

Jim Cort
Technical Writer
TotalTel
Jcort -at- total -dot- com <mailto:Jcort -at- total -dot- com>