what to do when there are two paths for a procedure

Subject: what to do when there are two paths for a procedure
From: "Leslie Johnson" <custcomm -at- cadvision -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 19:00:48 -0600

Amy Lattof wrote:

"What do you think? Is my original scheme effective? Is his suggestion
confusing (I think it would be...) Am I really off the wall here? "

Hi Amy,

If I were you I'd try to go with one of the two ways, not both. We've found
that when we try to document both (or more!) paths to a procedure, usability
tests inevitably say "you know, I liked the documentation overall, but I
really found that the path instructions were confusing. I got lost all the
time."

Which one you pick should depend on the way the audience uses the software,
of course, but I would pick only one. (Save yourself some headaches down the
road, too!)

Leslie Johnson
S.I. Writes
Calgary, Alberta