RE: An inquiry for academics

Subject: RE: An inquiry for academics
From: Ginger Moskowitz <ginger -at- aatech -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:52:40 -0400

Like you I went from English degree, to Tech writing. I went back for my MA
because I wanted to teach college level writing. Unfortunately I was
disillusioned by the job market.

I could find community colleges willing to hire me for one or two courses a
semester (ESL, tech writing, English 101), but these jobs were temporary,
had no benefits, and the pay was extremely low. Most instructors worked for
three or four colleges at a time to make ends meet. Plus, the competition
for these jobs was high; a comm college dept. head told me it was a buyers
market, and people with PhD's were vying for the same positions as MA grads
(guess who got hired).

On the bright side, your "real world" tech writing experience will be a
definite plus should you teach writing. But the PhD is what will get you a
full time or tenured position.

Don't know about secondary ed...