Getting Educated

Subject: Getting Educated
From: "GALVIN, KATHLEEN" <KATHGA -at- SAFECO -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 08:14:50 -0700

Tom Murrell wrote: "I just wonder if I would be better off if I had a few
classes to go with my practical experience."

I would heartily recommend it. In the words of my inestimable instructor at
the University of Washington, Carl Chatfield, "This [technical
communication] is one place academia is way ahead of business." The body of
knowledge regarding what works in conveying information is large and
growing.

I was in your same position, a BA in English and 2 ½ years of graduate work
under my belt, making good money and working steadily as a tech writer. But
I kept getting glimpses of the information that I didn't have, so I went
through the UW's Technical Writing and Editing certificate program. It took
9 months and over $3,000 of my own money but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
It validated that I did indeed know quite a bit, but I also acquired a ton
of information that I use daily on my job. I can speak with authority to
decision makers about what I recommend and why I recommend it, and I can
back it up with data. That's invaluable in a field where some people have us
pigeonholed as glorified word processors. NOBODY talks down to me. They know
I make a big, fat, contribution because I tell them I do and prove it daily.

I could bore you with anecdote after anecdote about how getting educated put
me in the catbird seat. I won't. But IMHO, you really can't afford to not
get educated. Increasingly, you are competing for jobs with people who have.

Kathy Galvin
SAFECO Network Services
Business Continuity Documentation Team

(206) 545-5540
kathga -at- safeco -dot- com <mailto:kathga -at- safeco -dot- com>

When something can be read without effort, great effort has
gone into its writing. - Enrique Jardiel Poncela