RoboHelp vs Doc-To-Help 4.0

Subject: RoboHelp vs Doc-To-Help 4.0
From: Karen Stoddard <kstoddar -at- standard -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 09:48:35 -0700

I have been asked to evaluate differences between RoboHelp (current version)
and Doc-to-Help 4.0 for creating online help and printed manuals. We
currently have a license for D2H 4 but no one has used it yet. There is
some question about whether it is robust enough for a large project of about
16 chapters (2000 pages). We use MS Word 97.
Some of the questions we have include:
Can you create a printed manual and online from the same source files?
Will the index function across several files?
How much flexibility do we have in terms of styles and fomatting?
Will the program support screen prints, schematics, call outs and pop-ups?
How much memory is needed for the writer(s)?

The other question is would Frame be a better choice for the word
processing?

Up to this point we have been writing in MSWord 97 and generating pdf files
for our online presence.

This is for an in-house only project of procedures including business policy
and system processing.

If anyone has experience in both D2H and RoboHelp and can give me a clear
comparison, I would appreciate it a lot. Thanks,
Karen Stoddard
kstoddar -at- standard -dot- com

Karen Stoddard
Technical Writer, Individual Division
Standard Insurance Company
(503) 321-6339 kstoddar -at- standard -dot- com