RE: do alarms always sound?

Subject: RE: do alarms always sound?
From: "Josee C. Morel" <jcmorel -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 08:09:23 GMT

What about signal?

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
CC: "'Christi Carew <infinity -at- yourhead -dot- com>'" <infinity -at- yourhead -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 11:52:40 +0100

Christi Carew wrote:
>>"You can configure an alarm to sound when a metric fails."<<
but the SME had previously written:
>>"You can configure an alarm to go off when a metric fails."<<
The question is:
>>So what does an alarm do, generically speaking?<<

Generically, an alarm warns you. I agree that "go off" is not a good phrase.
What about:
"You can configure an alarm to warn you when a metric fails."
or "You can configure an alarm to warn users when a metric fails."

Though I agree with someone else who inquired: "How can a metric fail?"

Jane Carnall
"When all else fails, read the manual.
If that doesn't work, do what it says."

Moving your documentation online? We can help with standards, planning,
or training. Visit us at http://www.weisner.com or mailto:info -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-
Sponsored by 4Translation.com, a "Web Enabled" Translation Service offering
an online quotation system, quality translations, and timely delivery in all
major languages. http://www.4translation.com, mailto:info -at- 4translation -dot- com
---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: jcmorel -at- hotmail -dot- com
Send administrative questions to ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot-