Re: HELP! I need a solid definition

Subject: Re: HELP! I need a solid definition
From: "jane" <judydh -at- total -dot- net>
To: "Johnny Brown" <johnny_brown -at- hotbot -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 17:14:22 -0400

Well, from where I'm standing, an event handler is what your program invokes
when a file of a certain type passes through the system. As a basic
analogy, it's like putting a filter on your e-mail so that whenever an MPEG
lands in your Inbox, it automatically starts up your WinAmp or QuickTime and
plays it. For instance, your browser plug-in applications (easily
configurable in Netscape) are (or are like) event handlers.

Mapping: parameters in one application/language have analogies in another
application/language. Run them through the mapping "device" and they are
compatible. Extra information can be attached/stripped out at that level.
YMMV.

If I'm wrong or I sound like a fool, let me know.

Jane