HTML Context sensitive help - What's this?

Subject: HTML Context sensitive help - What's this?
From: Barbara Stuhlemmer <barbara -at- group -dot- com>
To: "Writers List (E-mail 2)" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 10:01:10 -0400

Hi everyone:

The project I am working on is to create HTML Help for a Windows based
software. I started with this company about 1 1/2 months ago. As you can
guess, the project is in it's final wind-down stage, and all that is left is
the user testing and getting the help written. I had to learn HTML and
RoboHelp HTML Edition in a hurry, since my deadline is the end of November. I
am not complaining, this was a great opportunity to learn new applications, and
I am about 90% through writing the technical information and getting it into
HTML format. I have a TOC, index, links, etc. almost all in place. Now I have
to get over a little larger hurdle.

The software engineer has set up the software to use "What's this?" context
sensitive help. They want a text box to open with only the specific
information, relation to the selected function, to display. All the ID tags
(about 450 of them) have been created in the software. RoboHelp - help pages
say that when I create "What's this?" help, RoboHelp will create these tags for
me. As I read it, there is no choice in the matter. I can create text only
help easily enough, but I don't think it will use the "?" function to access
it. My lack of in-depth knowledge of RoboHelp has lead me to ask this question.

How can I get "What's this?" help implemented into my HTML (either using
RoboHelp (preferably), or directly in HTML). I do have the option of changing
all the tags in the software, if this is the most efficient way.

If there is a better list to post this to, I would appreciate that information
as well.

Thanks in advance. You've been a most helpful bunch in the past.

Barbara Stuhlemmer
Technical Writer, The Software Group Ltd.
(barbara -at- group -dot- com)