Re: Independent Editors - What do they do?

Subject: Re: Independent Editors - What do they do?
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 13:03:40 -0500

Anthony Markatos wrote:

> I can envision the above for a scenario for an 'in-house' senior editor.
> But, do many independent contractor/consultant editors perform such tasks?

I work with an independent contractor and, as an editor, she does not set the
tone/format/style/whatever for a series but she sees that it remains constant.
She acts as the reader's advocate. She takes the tests, follows the
cross-references, suggests new ways to re-word text that is awkward or
ambiguous. She's paid by the job, so I can't tell you how much she makes per
hour, but she's worth her weight in gold. Oh, and she catches spelling and
grammar errors, too. ;-)

Tracy
Oklahoma Department of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc