Re: Who dreams up these things?

Subject: Re: Who dreams up these things?
From: "Kathi Jan Knill" <Kathi -dot- Knill -at- template -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:01:25 -0400

Regarding Andrew's posted response to this question....
Wendy Lewis wrote:

>He is just advocating hard work over burocratic cow doodie,
> in a pointed, but entertaining way. I enjoy reading Andrew's
> posts and then become disillusioned when I read the posts
> trying to discount his opinion. OPINION being the operative
> word

Bravo Wendy!
Since every post in response to a post is obviously the OPINION
of the author, why can't people just let other's who want to
voice those opinions be? Like Wendy, I find that Andrew's
methods for stating his opinion are enjoyable.
If a question is posted that requires a definitive answer (how to
do such and such in Frame), then so be it. But questions that
don't ask how to do something are very open to opinions. For the
most part, that is probably why posters post them. Because they
want other peoples thoughts on a subject, they want to be able to
look at something from a different perspective, or whatever. I
don't think they expect a "right" answer. The question is gray,
and so is the answer.
I've been a tech writer for many years, but have only just joined
this list. I like being on this list because I pick up valuable
information from it. I also like it because I get to interact
with people I would otherwise not meet. And sometimes I like it
just because it distracts me from some boring work (if my boss is
reading this, I did not say that!). All of these things are
tied into the fact that many of the answers are just opinions.
And if you don't like someone's opinion about something, you are
entitled to your opinion. Just don't put down the first person's
opinion when stating your own. Isn't there a child's lesson that
says "if you can't say anything nice, don't say it at all." I
think people should stop and think about that before they post a
bash on someone else's opinion.
Okay, I'll stop my rambling here. And I'll close by saying, this
is just my humble opinion. Take it for what it is worth!

Kathi Jan Knill
Sr. Technical Writer
Template Software
Kathi -dot- Knill -at- Template -dot- com
You have to do what you love to do,
not get stuck in that comfort zone of
a regular job. Life is not a dress rehearsal.
This is it.