Re: Reasons not to use the Courier font

Subject: Re: Reasons not to use the Courier font
From: Mark Giffin <mgiffin -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 1999 11:09:49 -0700

Mark Levinson wrote about clients wanting to use Courier:

>My advice would be first, to understand that though they are
>distorted by the resonance of personal experience, your client's
>feelings are sincere-- like, for example, the feelings of
>someone who believes Neil Young has talent.

This is rich. The Courier font of musicians. Neil Young was making noise a
few years ago about how lacking in integrity were those artists who were
selling their songs for use in ads, such as a Phil Collins song in a beer
commercial. Maybe it was because there were no good offers for Neil Young
songs? ("Cinnamon Girl" as the theme for a local used car lot?)

But funny as that thought is, I still like both of them, and wouldn't claim
they had no talent. God Bless Courier. It is, to me, the least pretentious
of fonts (Salt of the Fonts) and I use it heavily in stuff like printed
memos and anywhere else I can sneak it in. It's possible that it makes it
easier to see the quality of the writing. We are presentation crazy these
days. I believe the world could get by with about 4 fonts, instead of
400,000 and growing. I would take Courier with me to a desert island.

Mark Giffin
mgiffin -at- earthlink -dot- net