RE: Graphics Problem - Changing Background Color

Subject: RE: Graphics Problem - Changing Background Color
From: "Geoff Lane" <geoff -at- gjctech -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 13:04:45 +0100

I don't think that you can make the background of a JPG transparent (at
least, I've never managed that trick!) To make the background transparent,
you need to convert to a GIF and then set the palette transparency. To do
this in PSP (you don't say which version, so I'll assume PSP5):

1. From the Colors menu, point to Decrease Color Depth and choose 256 colors
(8 bit). In the dialog box that opens, select Nearest Color (this prevents
PSP from dithering the background). You can choose any of the palette
options (trial and error will tell you which is the best for a particular
image).

2. Select the Dropper tool and then right-click the image background. This
sets the palette background to the image background colour.

3. From the Colors menu, choose Set Palette Transpareny. In the dialog box
that opens, select Set the transparency to the current background color.
You can preview the effect by clicking Proof. Click OK to close this dialog
box.

4. From the File menu, choose Save As. In the dialog box that opens, select
the Compuserve Graphics Interchange (*.gif) format and click Save.

5. Finally, change the link in your HTML page to point to the GIF file,
rather than the JPG.

For PSP4, omit step 3. You set the transparency with the options for the
graphics format.

You will lose some image quality (256 colours being much less than 16.7
million!). However, the results are acceptable for most images. You may
also want to consider portable network graphic (PNG) format. AFAIK, that
format supports transparency in 24-bit colour-depth. However, not all
browsers support PNG and this may limit your options.

HTH,

Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK
geoff -at- gjctech -dot- co -dot- uk