Re: [Fwd: Re: preface questions]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: preface questions]
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- slip -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 09:07:57 -0700

At 06:55 AM 10/7/99 -0400, Dick Margulis wrote:

>When we deliver the same book as a PDF file, Acrobat wants to number the
>pages from 1. Period. So we have to make a choice. Either the page
>number reported by Acrobat does not match the folio printed on the page,
>or we rethink the whole prelim thing and just start out with page 1,
>forgetting about the roman numerals. So the first page of chapter 1 may
>be page 25 of the book.

Good news, Dick. In Acrobat 4, you can modify the page numbering
after generating a PDF. I've successfully reset it so that the front
matter page numbers are in lower-case roman numerals, and the
main part of the book restarts with the proper page 1.

martha

--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
Dances With Words

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
If I am only for myself, what am I?
If not now, when?"
--Hillel, "Mishna, Sayings of the Fathers 1:13"