A&E's 100 Biographies of the Millennium

Subject: A&E's 100 Biographies of the Millennium
From: Gilda_Spitz -at- markham -dot- longview -dot- ca
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 10:09:41 -0400

No, I don't think this is off-topic.

I'm sure at least some of you out there saw the excellent four-hour
presentation by A&E on the top 100 biographies of the millennium. Their
list consisted of names from a wide range of politicians, scientists,
inventors, doctors, artists, dictators, and public figures.

Although many of their choices could be considered controversial, I was
delighted to see their choice for #1 - Guttenburg, for his invention of the
printing press. They went on to explain how this one invention changed the
world in so many ways.

What a revelation to see the importance placed on the dissemination of
information through the printed word! I immediately made the connection
with the work I do as a technical writer , disseminating information
through the printed word (among other media).

I hesitated about sending this e-mail to the list because I'm afraid it
will touch off a long argument about the merits of some of the other names
on the A&E list. But I decided to take a chance anyway. Nice to see that
A&E appreciates the value of communication as much as we technical writers
do!

Gilda Spitz
Manager, Documentation and Translation
Longview Solutions Inc.