RE: Is there an official term?

Subject: RE: Is there an official term?
From: "Humbird, Len - CFC" <Humbird -dot- Len -at- cfwy -dot- com>
To: "''TECHWR-L (E-mail)'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 16:28:20 -0700

Hi Teresa,

How about "display" for the physical device? "CRT" is a throwback from the
engineering days, that technically described what was in front of you (i.e.,
a cathode-ray tube). And if the system is migrated to an emulator on a PC,
and someone's using an LCD or other display technology, it won't be true!

As for the overlaying of information, how about "message panels" or "message
boxes"? The term "window" is typically associated with a bitmapped rather
than a character-oriented user interface.

I dislike "dialog box" because the computer isn't having a "dialog" with
you. It is more like being interrogating by someone who doesn't speak your
language and doesn't understand your culture. I think "message box" is more
appropriate.

Hope that helps
Len