Re: Toward? Towards?

Subject: Re: Toward? Towards?
From: Jo Baer <jbaer -at- mailbox1 -dot- tcfbank -dot- com>
To: David Chinell <dchinell -at- email -dot- msn -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:01:32 -0500

From "Dictionary of Problem Words and Expressions" by Harry Shaw:

Toward, towards. These words for "in the direction of," "approaching,"
and "with regard to" are interchangeable. Take your pick. However,
toward is one letter shorter and somewhat easier to pronounce. Always
lean toward the shorter, simpler word.

Fowler also says the two words have the same meaning, but that "toward"
is more common in American English, "towards" in British English.

Personally, I'd go with toward.

--
Jo Baer
Senior Technical Writer