Re: Red text for Chapter name

Subject: Re: Red text for Chapter name
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, lporrello -at- eur -dot- ko -dot- com
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 99 11:52:13 -0400

Leonard,

Red in particular has wildly disparate semiotic meaning in different parts of the world; so you would need to exercise some caution depending on how widely the product is going to be circulated.

For example, in the US and many other Western countries, red signifies danger, which may not be what you want to convey.

>From a book design standpoint, red has been used for centuries for drop caps, beginning with medieval manuscript illumination (look up the etymology of _miniature_). However, using it in a title, particularly if the title is some big bold sans-serif, may be a bit distracting.

I would suggest, if you want to introduce some color into the page for visual interest, that you go with something a bit more peaceful and less fraught with meaning--maybe a medium turquoise, for example.

Just make sure the title is legible when printed on a grayscale laser printer set at 300 dpi. You might want to print out a page and run it through a fax machine, too, to check the legibility of the color you choose.

HTH,

Dick

From: lporrello -at- eur -dot- ko -dot- com

I do not have access to the archive, and I need to know if anyone has any
concrete reasons why red text should not be used for chapter titles in a
paper-paradigm book that will be published in PDF.