RE: Red text for Chapter name

Subject: RE: Red text for Chapter name
From: "John David Hickey" <dave -at- toonboom -dot- com>
To: "Techwr-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 14:36:48 -0400

Greetings!

> Red in particular has wildly disparate semiotic meaning in
> different parts of the world; so you would need to exercise some
> caution depending on how widely the product is going to be circulated.

How about a deeper, darker red (like mahogany or burgandy)? Bright red could
be interpreted as danger, but what about other shades of red (pink might be
telling more than you intended).

Of course, if all the titles are red, then the reader should be able to
figure out that Red is not indicating danger in the context of the book.

The reason I ask is I've just realized that we could apply some color to our
documents since they'll be going out as Beta PDF documents at the beginning
of the new year. I would like to incorporate some of the coporate colours,
but dark red is one of them (www.toonboom.com).

Speaking of which, anyone have a suggestion on getting exactly the right
tone of red to appear in my Color drop-list in Frame's Paragraph designer?
The only red I've got is Bright Fire-engine Red.
--
Be seeing you,

Dave
John David Hickey
Grand Poohbah of Documentation
ToonBoom Technologies
Montreal, Quebec, Canada eh?
pg: 514-205-9209

Their site: http://www.toonboom.com
My site: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/7829/

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.
But if you miss a deadline, you'd better bring the sword.
Don't confuse my opinions with my employer's.
Each exists in blissful ignorance of the other.