RE: ESL

Subject: RE: ESL
From: Maaike Groenewege <mgr -at- mediasys -dot- nl>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 10:48:52 +0200

R Hume wrote:

<snip>

I am wondering about using "ing" in headings.

<snip>

I don't think using the -ing form in a manual for a Dutch audience will
cause any trouble, because such constructions are used in Dutch too. E.g.
"Formulering van een hypothese" means "Formulating a hypothesis".

A search for "simplified english", "global english" or "ESL" in the Techwr-L
archives will give you quite a lot of information on how to write
understandable texts for non-native speakers of English. Also, feel free to
mail me off list if you have any more specific questions about Dutch
audiences.

Have a nice day,

Maaike Groenewege
Technical Writer