Re: Standards/best practice vs creativity tangent

Subject: Re: Standards/best practice vs creativity tangent
From: Sandy Harris <sharris -at- dkl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 09:38:17 -0400

Chris Fitzgerald wrote:

> ... I was just wondering what the list
> thought of working for a company even though they don't
> necessarily feel they have a good product.

I heard this as a rule for consulting and contracting, but
I suspect it applies to technically skilled employment too:

There are three things everyone wants:

money, the corner office, fast computer, stock options, ...

feeling that you're doing good work, accomplishing something,
building a worthwhile product, ...

retaining sanity, not burning out and being hauled away
gibbering, or dying early of an excess of 70-hour weeks

If you're good at it, you can have any two.