Standards/best practice vs creativity tangent

Subject: Standards/best practice vs creativity tangent
From: Chris Fitzgerald <chrisfitztex -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 18:59:05 -0700 (PDT)

Tony Lupton wrote:

>We must recognize that we write to put food on the table, and
as such we need to defer to those who will pay us for our work.

Tony brings up an interesting point. I was thinking of this
today. After being offered a position at a "start-up" software
company, I realized that I don't BELIEVE in their product. The
product is a group of discs that helps create a database for
loan institutions. (Basically, a VB program with alerts) I
thought that the software that they were promoting (for a mere
$1000) could have been created by ME, even with my limited
Visual Basic knowledge. I was just wondering what the list
thought of working for a company even though they don't
necessarily feel they have a good product. If you're writing the
manuals and API's, I know the company's future isn't necessarily
your future, but I want to work for a company where I can learn
and grow. Fortunately, I have a job now, so can afford to
decline the offer, but I know next summer, when I leave
teaching, I'll be pounding the streets for any TW work.

(wordy, I know, but I'm tired and just want to put the point out
there)

Have a nice evening.:)

Chris

=====