RE: Web development rates

Subject: RE: Web development rates
From: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 15:49:26 -0500

Ron Sering Asks:

> I'm trying to get a sense of where hourly rates for Web development stands
> relative to rates for "traditional" tech writing, i.e. manual production,
> help development. Are they comparable, or does Web development fetch a
> higher fee?

I'll be interested in hearing what answers come from other parts of the
country.

Here in Central Ohio, I'm told that Web Developers only command about 60% of
what a Senior Technical Writer can get. And I think they are also lower
than a starting TW, but not by more than about 10%.

Remember, this information is void where prohibited or taxed. Your mileage
may vary.

Tom Murrell