Re: Internet capitalisation

Subject: Re: Internet capitalisation
From: "Jeanne A. E. DeVoto" <jaed -at- jaedworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 21:19:24 -0800

At 3:43 PM -0800 11/4/99, Sonja McShane wrote:
>Is it most common these days to write Internet or internet?
>Merriam-Webster's says Internet, and that's how I've been writing it for
>years. But someone here thinks that's now old fashioned. I _briefly_ checked
>the archives and the only relevant topic I found was in 1996.

There was a discussion last year sometime.

Write "Internet" if you're talking about the Internet, since it's a proper
noun. Write "internet" only if you're talking about an internet, which is
short for "internetwork", which is (loosely speaking) a network of networks.

--
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ jaed -at- jaedworks -dot- com
http://www.jaedworks.com