Re: Internet capitalisation

Subject: Re: Internet capitalisation
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: Sonja McShane <sonja -at- ekorp -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 21:19:35 -0500

Sonja,

Capitalize Internet; there is only one that any of us are likely to be
writing about. Hence it is treated as a proper noun. Lowercase intranet.
Capitalize Web when it is short for the World Wide Web. Lowercase it
when it refers to any ol' web.

I believe this is still a strong consensus among editors. IMHO; YMMV; my
tuppence, etc. And in the Land of Merriam-Webster, there is a zed in
_capitalization_.

Dick