Advice Needed: Getting Started with RoboHelp

Subject: Advice Needed: Getting Started with RoboHelp
From: Joanne Meehl <Jmeehl -at- datum -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 09:52:51 -0500

Hi all,
I'm new to the list, and have learned so much just in the few days I've been
reading your posts.

I've been a tech writer for all of 1 1/2 months, so right now I'm the human
sponge, trying to learn as much as I can. Since I'm the only documentation
person at my company, your help with my questions would be wonderful.

In the new year, I'll be expected to start using RoboHelp. How would you
suggest I start learning it--play with it for a few weeks, then attend a
class? (A couple of tech writers I know strongly recommend I do a class). My
company will send me to a class if I ask for it. Or can I try learning it on
my own, with the help of tutorials? (I've picked up FrameMaker pretty well
in my short time so far). Are there other resources that might help me with
this? What helped you the most when you learned it? What version(s) would
you recommend?

For those of you in the Boston area, have you attended RoboHelp classes? If
so, which would you recommend/not recommend?

I hope I'm asking the right questions. Tell me anything you think I should
know about getting started.

Thank you!

J.