Re: Names of Documents-Testing

Subject: Re: Names of Documents-Testing
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: kimber_miller -at- acs-inc -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 10:03:41 PST

Kimber Miller asks for definition of Test Procedure (along with other terms).

Tony Markatos responds:

BLACK BOX TEST PROCEDURES

Software requirement spec defines essential tasks. (Keyword is essential; we can not test everything - only the essential). From essential tasks, black box (i.e., systems level) test cases are determined. From black box test cases, (systems level) test procedures are written.

WHITE BOX TEST PROCEDURES

Software requirements spec is used to create systems design. Systems design determines essential aspects of the design that need to be tested. (Key word is 'essential'; we can not test everything - only the essential). From these essential design aspects, white box (i.e, design specific) test cases are created. From these white box test cases, white box test procedures are created.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)