Proper Grammer - Need For?

Subject: Proper Grammer - Need For?
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: lmbabik -at- winspc -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 10:43:14 PST

Bob Morrisette:

A SME wants me to use these words. He says that they are
commonly used. What do you think?

orderability shippability

Tony Markatos responds:

The key is STANDARDIZATION. If everyone uses and understands the same word, and not multiple words that mean the same thing; then, you have very effective communication. It does not matter what the word is. Don't let the grammer police sway you.

I used to be a air traffic controller (tower and radar approach control). Grammer wise, many controller-to-pilot communications are poor. I was once (while a trainee) severely chastised for telling a pilot: "The wind [direction]is two-one-zero degrees at seven nautical miles [per hour]." My boss told me that I should have said: "Wind: two-one-zero degrees at seven." -- not a word more.

Clear and concise air traffic controller-to-pilot (technical) communication does consistently occur. Believe me, if it did not, you would soon here about it on the news! The key is standardization. Controller-to-pilot communications are very highly standardized. In the above mentioned example, "Wind: two-one-zero degrees at seven." is the standard way of conveying wind direction and velocity information to pilots. All parties concerned know exactly what this means, and any deviation from this standard is a potential source of (deadly) confusion.

In the above, I have discussed oral (technical) communications, not written. Does not matter; there are numerous poor-grammar/highly- standardized written air traffic control communications. It is just easier for me to write about (and for you to envision) the concept by discussing the case of oral communications.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)