RE: peanut butter and jelly - revisited

Subject: RE: peanut butter and jelly - revisited
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 11:29:20 -0500

Hmmmm:

Forgetting, for the moment, that peanut butter is the most vile thing on the
face of the Earth, I'm not sure what the purpose of this whole
peanut-butter-sandwich-making-and-eating event is all about. What end of the
jar you remove the lid from? Putting the knife through the glass bottom?
Hmmm? Is this written for a target audience that comprises morons from
another planet?

When I was a mere college student, looking for my first tech writing gig, I
applied for a job where, as part of the application process, I had to write
instructions on donning a sportcoat, for someone who has never seen such
clothes--really, the instructions included the fact that buttons and every
other part of the coat were unknown the wearer. I got the job, but wondered
if it was because of my skill as a procedural writer or my creativity in
dreaming up what problems such a brainless, apparently naked, audience would
encounter . . ..

Seriously, is this a feel-good-teamwork thing, that sucks down a couple of
hours, involves embarrassed laughing about not sufficiently describing a jar
such that the reader could not recognize the lid, and ends in everyone
enjoying the fruits of their labor? I'd be curious to know if such an
activity works, too . . ..

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com