RE: peanut butter and jelly alien - revisited

Subject: RE: peanut butter and jelly alien - revisited
From: "Humbird, Len - CFC" <Humbird -dot- Len -at- cfwy -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 16:11:57 -0800

This indeed is an interesting (albeit extreme) exercise in audience
analysis. So why not take it to the level of absurdity?

On the issue of the "alien" audience, I believe there are still too many
assumptions being made about the audience. As the audience is definitely NOT
human, many things we take for granted must be researched.

For example, what do we know about them? (Again, using "them" assumes a
plurality, whereas "it" may be a singular entity, or a collective. Or a
persistence that is beyond our ability to perceive or classify to any
meaningful degree.) Are they even capable of communicating through a
scripted language and/or [human] AV technology? And even if they were, would
they have the slightest inclination to communicate with your PBJ
instructions, let alone perform the task (in this universe)?

If, by now, you're thinking that your audience might be a flunky pothead you
knew from high school who could probably benefit from some cranial
ventilation, then you're not far off.

Does the alien have:
a) a body with appendages that are roughly equivalent to
arms/hands/tentacles, or
b) telekinetic abilities (in this universe) which allow similar mobility.
If so, you're in luck. They can spread the peanut butter and turn the page.

Otherwise, perhaps we should start with NO assumptions on the audience, and
ask:

* Does it even exist? I would further have to qualify that with a number of
other assumptions, such as:
- What do I mean by "exist"? Today? In this universe? To my ability to
perceive it?
- What difference does it make whether or not that particular audience
"exists"? (A comforting thought.) It could be rather short-sighted of me to
even ask!

* Does the alien perceive the concept of time and space, or cause and
effect? If not, then that makes it difficult to write an appendix that
covers troubleshooting.

* What form of consciousness does the alien posses, if any? To what degree
must a tech writer rise (or sink, or swim) in order to establish
communication with said alien?

* If it possesses some form of basic awareness, what medium of communication
is viable? Note that telepathy is not a viable option for most [earth-based]
tech writers. Neither are extreme facial expressions.

Then there are cultural issues with which to come to grips:

* The idea of PBJ may send shivers down their spines (or perhaps unwanted
electrical impulses down their structural pathways).

* Could one of the ingredients be a sacred ancestor? Or descendants? This
could get tricky.

* Could something about the process offend or (short-out) the alien? A step
in the process could translate to giving someone "the finger" (or tentacle)?

Ah, but the creation of technical documentation is an elaborate exercise in
transforming thought and energy into mass (which in and of itself is a
depressing thought). But we all hope that somehow it is transformed back
into thought and energy on some other end.

Ok, back to answering all the voices in my head...