Capabilities of PDF

Subject: Capabilities of PDF
From: "Chaim Chatan [ENG]" <chaimc -at- elal -dot- co -dot- il>
To: TECHWR-L digest <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 11:09:05 +0200

Our department has just recently converted three of our many manuals to PDF.
One of the major users of our manuals expressed satisfaction with the new
digitalized manuals, but he made a number of additional requests. I tried to
explain to him that some of these requests are not possible to accomplish in
PDF; they are more appropriate for HTML. Here are some of the requests. If
any of you on this list think that the accomplishment of these requests is
possible in PDF, please respond on how to accomplish them:
1) He requested that the hyperlinks be done in color (similar to Internet
pages). From what I know, this is definitely possible in HTML, but I don't
think it is possible for PDF. If it is possible in PDF, could you let me
know?
2) He requested a word search capability for the manuals. How do I do that?
3) The pagination in the manual is different from the pagination in the
Adobe Acrobat program. He wants the page number on the bottom of the Adobe
Acrobat screen to be identical to the page number in the manual. Is this
possible to accomplish in PDF?
In the light of these requested changes, would it be advisable to convert
the manuals to HTML rather than PDF?