RE: On-the-spot writing test during a job interview?

Subject: RE: On-the-spot writing test during a job interview?
From: "Cascio, Justin" <Justin_Cascio -at- tvratings -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 10:06:25 -0500

Good point, Maggie. You made me think of an issue we haven't addressed yet:
isn't an important skill for technical writers the ability to figure out how
a completely alien product works? I generally write most of my documentation
from design documents and maybe a half-functional real product (I work in
software.) How well does your candidate write procedures for an item s/he's
never seen before? Eventually, (you hope) the writer will be as familiar
with your company's products as s/he is with staplers, but I'd want to know
how quickly a candidate can learn what the product does, and whether s/he
can document procedures from design documents.

Justin Cascio