Re: Senior Writers writing exams

Subject: Re: Senior Writers writing exams
From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
To: sbuttice -at- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 11:21:54 -0800

At 07:57 AM 11/15/99 , sbuttice -at- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com wrote:

>Tobbin wrote:
>
><I think that as a Senior Tech Writer, you would be justified and capable of
>refusing such a test.>
>

>Sam Buttice:
>
>I disagree with this comment. The Senior Writer should take the test, just
like
>everyone else. The difference lies in what the person hiring the writer is
>looking for as a result of the writer writing the exam. In this case, I
>wouldn't
>be looking for writing capabilities, a Senior Writer already knows how to do
>that (I hope!), the thing that separates a good Senior Writer from a bad
Senior
>Writer is ATTITUDE.
>
>This is the part where I'm sure to get into trouble with many of you, I'm
>ready.
>
>What I'm trying to say is that, not all, but many Senior Writers are set in
>their ways and refuse to adapt or accept new ideas or processes. A Senior
>Writer
>who refuses to write an exam during the interview is giving me the impression
>that this person will resist many other aspects of the process solely on
>principle. In other words "I will not do this because it is not my
>responsibility as a Senior Writer, let the clerk do it!".
>
>What happens if I hire a Senior Writer who refuses to write the exam or gives
>me attitude before writing it? We all know that writers put on different hats
>throughout the course of a project, we have to if things are to get done. Will
>the writer refuse to perform some functions of the job because they're beneath
>the scope of a Senior Writer's responsibilities?
>
>A professional would write the exam and understand that it is part of the
>recruiting process. It's the ATTITUDE that will tell me if this person fits
the
>team and if he could be counted on at crunch time.
>
>Sam Buttice
>Technical Writer

Marilynne
Would I be correct in assuming you have some age bias? You certainly have some
fixed ideas about what a Senior Writer would do to inconvenience you. I
suggest you hire a Senior Writer and see if that changes your mind. Most of
the Senior Writers I know are quite flexible, very good workers, team players,
etc., etc. Just the thing you may have in mind.

Marilynne Smith
Sr. Technical Writer
QUALCOMM
marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com