Re: Senior Writers writing exams

Subject: Re: Senior Writers writing exams
From: bbatorsk -at- admin -dot- nj -dot- devry -dot- edu
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 15:33:14 -0500

Sam,

At 10:57 AM 11/15/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Tobbin wrote:
>
><I think that as a Senior Tech Writer, you would be justified and capable of
>refusing such a test.>
>

>Me:
>
>I disagree with this comment. The Senior Writer should take the test, just like
>everyone else. The difference lies in what the person hiring the writer is
>looking for as a result of the writer writing the exam. In this case, I
wouldn't
>be looking for writing capabilities, a Senior Writer already knows how to do
>that (I hope!), the thing that separates a good Senior Writer from a bad Senior
>Writer is ATTITUDE.
><snip>
>Sam Buttice
>Technical Writer

Yes, attitude, but a little story. I had a friend who was an experienced
lab technologist. She went to an interview and they asked her to dissect a
mouse. She did it, but came away suspicious that the "employer" was simply
interviewing her to get the latest on the research being done in the lab she
was just leaving--a prestigious, cutting-edge research program. Attitude is
what got that employer to the bottom of the list for this particular,
valuable senior research technician.

There will always be competition for the best workers. Yes, the right
attitude is important, but that sword cuts two ways.

Barry Batorsky