Re: Writing Test?

Subject: Re: Writing Test?
From: "Edwin Skau" <eddy_skau -at- mailcity -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 10:38:50 +0530

>I would not take a test to prove to some idiot that I can do my job. If you cannot ascertain from the interview that I can do the job, then I dont want to work for you.<

Hi:

Securing a job would normally involve proving you are fit for the job. CV's and portfolios do not always reflect the true capabilities of the candidate. Besides a direct hotline to God, a writing test is the next best way to determine actual realtime skills of a candidate.

Having spurned formal education early on in life, I have worked as a journalist and accomplished a lot for my various employers. However, a portfolio based on my performance in that line because the final products on file include the efforts of many others. Often, the external inputs have subtracted from the quality of my work. That is why I insist on a test so that I can actually strut my stuff.

To me, a person who takes umbrage over writing a test would display:
1) Doubt about their abilities
2) Inability to work with a team (subtle)
3) Insubordination (where applicable)
4) Not serious about securing the job in question.

A written test will not reveal all, but it is a step closer to finding out if the candidate has the required skills

My tuppence.

eddy

Thought for the day: You may be on the right track, but if you just sit there, you're bound to get run over.