Re: Colons in Headings

Subject: Re: Colons in Headings
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 99 21:00:31 -0500

Another approach is to do something typographically that is the semantic equivalent of the colon.

For example treat the words after the (omitted) colon in a different font, shading, size, or color (pick one!), either on the same or a different line.

I have no objection to the colon, either. This is just by way of offering another approach if there are strong objections from others in your company to the use of the colon.

Dick

From: "Mark L. Levinson" <nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>

>Johnny Brown asks about headings like--

B) Getting the Right Answer: Extraction

Personally, I have nothing against colons in headings, and
I've used them when the alternative was adding an unwanted
further level to the hierarchy of headings. For example,
instead of

B) Getting the Right Answer
1) Formulation
2) Extraction

I'd go for

B) Getting the Right Answer: Formulation
C) Getting the Right Answer: Extraction

if the further level would have created a structural
anomaly in the document.