STC versus WinWriters

Subject: STC versus WinWriters
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 10:34:40 -0500

Hallo:

This is a follow-up to "the coming thing" thread I posted last Friday--and
thanks to all who replied! I received some excellent feedback recommending
the WinWriters conference, in San Diego. Also, the annual STC conference was
promoted as a worthwhile and cost effective choice.

Choice for what? What do I want?

I write in-print and online help for MS-OS-based software (using FrameMaker
and WebWorks Publisher primarily). I would like to investigate coming trends
in my profession. I would also like to learn something new about the job I
am doing now. Generally, I am seeking to expand my horizons in a way that is
more than theoretical: that I can apply practically to the job I do.

So, if I could pick only one (and that's not certain), what are this groups
thoughts about WinWriters conference versus the STC conference? Does anyone
who has attended both have an opinion? Part of the trouble I'm having with
this is due to the fact that the STC's May conference is not yet described.
Thus, I need input from those who attended Columbus or Annaheim.

Also, would I be correct in assuming that the STC conference would give me
the opportunity to discover the same kinds of things about online help and
writing for the web that Winwriters offers? I ask this because I envision
the STC conference being more encompassing and including online help as a
subset. Does the STC offer the same number and type of instructional courses
that Winwriters seems to offer?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com