Re: he/she

Subject: Re: he/she
From: "M. Giffin" <mgiffin -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 16:34:18 -0800

Suggestion:

Use "he or she" once or twice near the beginning of the document to
publicly identify yourself as someone who is aware that there are males and
females in the world, then just use "he" unless you feel like identifying
yourself again.

reference definition:
"he ... 2. the person; the one; anyone"
- Webster's New World College Dictionary, 3rd Ed.

-------
M. Giffin
Member, Language User's Union

John Posada wrote:
>ARGH!.....there are hundreds of them!!
>
>Seriously...I was given a 175 page document in Word;
>specifically, a System Design Specification (quite
>complex) and asked to make some updates.
>
>Well, I made the mistake of actualy reading some
>content that wasn't marked for change.
>
>There are literaly hundreds of: "He/she can browse the
>list by....."
>
><sigh>
>
>=====
>John Posada, Merck Research Laboratories
>Sr Technical Writer, WinHelp and html
>(work) john_posada -at- merck -dot- com - 732-594-0873
>(pers) jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com - 732-291-7811
>"The art of creating software that is usable by individuals is a
communication skill. It is not a programming skill."