RE: US vs. UK pronoun/voice usage?

Subject: RE: US vs. UK pronoun/voice usage?
From: Maaike Groenewege <mgr -at- mediasys -dot- nl>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 11:20:36 +0100

Hi Janet

I took a degree in English language and linguistics in the Netherlands, so I
don't know whether you should trust my gut feeling :o) I think that passives
in UK English are more frequently used than in US English, but mostly in an
academic context, to ensure a maximum of objectivity and avoid any
"intrusion of the self". This often leads to very stilted and formal
language usage, which I personally don't find appropriate for a manual. So
just stick with your instincts and choose the clear and understandable way.

Maaike Groenewege
Technical Writer
Mediasystemen, a Triple P company
Bloemendaal