Re: Long Headings in FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Long Headings in FrameMaker
From: "Nancy Kaminski" <nancykam -at- mediaone -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 19:34:26 -0600

> Just an update for anyone interested in fixing long headings in Frame...so
> far the consenus is that you cannot. I have talked to dozens of people,
and
> really the best solution so far is to introduce a soft break (the <shift>
> <return>) so I will proceed with that. If anyone has anymore ideas on the
> subject, I'd love to hear them.

Okay, I just had an idea how you can take care of this. If I understand the
problem correctly, you want only a portion of a very long heading to appear
in your TOC. I'd try this approach:

Have two special Heading styles set up just for long headlines. They would
be a duplicate of the regular heading style, except one would be a run-in
heading. So you would have 3 heading styles that appear the same on the
page, type-wise:

Heading1 <----- the one you use on most headings
Heading1RunIn
Heading1NoTOC

Style the part of the heading you want in the TOC as Heading1RunIn and the
rest of the heading as Heading1NoTOC. They run together and look like a
normal Heading1 heading, but they're really 2 separate styles and are
separate lines.

Add the Heading1RunIn style to your TOC specifications, and style the
resulting Heading1RunInTOC the same as Heading1TOC.

Well? Make sense?

Nancy E. Kaminski -- Technical Writer/Editor
Fairview Health Services, Minneapolis, MN USA
phone (612) 672-6882, fax (612) 672-6083
nkamins1 -at- fairview -dot- org -- nancykam -at- mediaone -dot- net