RE: Is this just the way things are?

Subject: RE: Is this just the way things are?
From: Ellen Black <eblack -at- usdata -dot- com>
To: "'Catherine Scribner'" <cscribner -at- netscape -dot- net>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 07:32:45 -0600

Catherine:

Unfortunately, the scenario that you describe is the kind of situation in
which I've found myself during most of the 14 years that I've worked as a
tech writer. I've had one perm job (company closed) and one contract
(contract ended) that defied your work-life description, but mostly, I've
found what you describe to be true and (gasp) sometimes, the situations are
even more horrible than you describe.

Every tech writer that I know who is knowledgeable, professional,
technically astute, and a good writer also concur with what you and I both
are saying. When these tech writer friends of mine and I get together, we
just shake our heads. We've all given up hope of ever finding a good working
environment, and we try to appease our tortured souls by reminding ourselves
that we do make more money in this profession than most other people do in
other professions. Sad, but true.

And as most of us have families to support, we put up with the bad
management and the fellow writers who don't have a clue and the
engineers/developers with egos the size of Pittsburgh, etc., etc.

Ellen