Slightly OT: Career advice

Subject: Slightly OT: Career advice
From: "Parker, Kami {41-1~Indianapolis}" <KAMI -dot- PARKER -at- ROCHE -dot- COM>
To: "'Tech Writer'" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 14:33:47 -0500

Many of you have shared on this list how you became a technical writer and
what you do as a technical writer. The testimonials of education,
backgrounds, experiences, and day-to-day activities are very diverse.

My brother, who lives in Greensboro, NC, is researching career opportunities
and is exploring Technical Writing and/or Corporate Training. Currently, he
is a sixth grade math and science teacher. A Wal-Mart teacher of the year,
in fact. :^) Formerly, he worked for environmental science firm among other
things. He feels a little unappreciated, underpaid, frustrated, (I told him
that these thing may not improve.) and ready for a change. I have given him
plenty of information about technical writing but don't know of many
resources for corporate training.

Do any of you have a similar history that would be helpful or encouraging
for my brother? What web sites, mail groups, associations, material,
courses, would help my brother make the transition into adult learning? He
would like to stay in North Carolina but is willing to travel so does anyone
know of local resources, companies, opportunities that would help him make
the move into technical writing or training and development.

Any advice or help that I could forward to him would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kami