FW: difference between tech writing and instructional design?

Subject: FW: difference between tech writing and instructional design?
From: "Kathi Jan Knill" <Kathi -dot- Knill -at- template -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 09:23:38 -0500

Linda Michaels asked for this information. Although I did not know myself, I
forwarded the question to a Director of Human Resources Training and
Education at the Red Cross. She has a masters in ID. This is the response
she sent.
I hope it helps.

IDs are individuals who apply adult learning principles to any number of
topics. Technical writers tend to be specialized in a field and therefore
may be more detailed in their writing. The instructional manuals that you
write for software might be used by an ID to develop a course but the same
ID may also develop a training program on financial management, leadership
development and sales. IDs also should be able to adapt learning to
different media and determine the appropriate use based on audience,
objectives, available technology, etc. The two complement each other but
are not the same thing.

Kathi Jan Knill
Sr. Technical Writer
Template Software
Kathi -dot- Knill -at- Template -dot- com
"A day without sunshine is like, night."

Linda asks:

What do you all think the difference is between technical writing and
instructional design? I'm a tech writing major, doing my concentration in
Instructional Technologies, which focuses on instructional design, but I
haven't learned anything new in my concentration. It's mostly a recap of
what I've learned in my tech writing classes, (only with much less detail).

The only real difference I see so far (I've taken 6 instructional technoloy
classes) is that tech writers seem much more detail-oriented, whereas
instructional designers are more concerned with the "big picture."

I'm asking all this because I'm considering pursuing a master's degree in
Instructional Technologies, but as I said, I havne't really learned much
beyond what I've learned in tech writing. I guess I'm wondering if that's
just how it is (i.e., there is no major difference between tech writing and
instructional design). Or maybe I should look for similar Master's programs
at other universities? People have told me to just go ahead and get the
Masters at my school, but I'd like to learn something new. (I'm in the SF
Bay Area if anyone knows of any local programs.)