Re: Paying per page.

Subject: Re: Paying per page.
From: "Tim Altom" <taltom -at- simplywritten -dot- com>
To: "Diaspora Worker" <diaspora_worker -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TechDoc List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 15:50:24 -0500

I assume you meant that the customer wanted to be *charged* by the page. I
wouldn't price that way, because page count is so uncertain. You'll generate
many pages that may not make the cut, and such things as graphic size and
font choice will influence that outcome. They're probably wanting some kind
of objective standard for payment, but the essence of technical
communication isn't pages, but accuracy, usability, and good judgment,
things that aren't reflected in page count. In point of fact, it's
frequently the case that less experienced writers produce more pages,
because they tend to ramble more. Mark Twain is supposed to have said "This
letter would have been shorter, but I didn't have enough time."

Tim Altom
Simply Written, Inc.
Featuring FrameMaker and the Clustar Method(TM)
"Better communication is a service to mankind."
317.562.9298
http://www.simplywritten.com