RE: Demos for software

Subject: RE: Demos for software
From: salatas <salatas -at- micron -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 08:07:12 -0700

Kasie,

I am using Lotus ScreenCam to write documentation. At my last company, we
used it to make product demos as well.

I got the idea for using it here after the TECHWR-L discussion a few months
ago on using tape recorders. I tried the tape recorder, and liked the
results, but I still had a hard time sketching all the screen features and
making them synch with the tape.

ScreenCam records everything that happens on your computer screen. If you
have a microphone installed on your computer, it can also record sound (the
voice of the demonstrator). I have ScreenCam running when a developer
demonstrates an application for me. Then, when I sit down to write the
documentation, I can go back and review everything that was said and done.
Sometimes there are features to which I do not have access. Other times,
there I do not want to play with the data because it is "live" production
data. In these cases, I can take screen shots directly from the demo for my
documentation.

ScreenCam has reduced the need for follow-up sessions with developers, and
has cut my development time for documentation.

http://www.lotus.com/home.nsf/welcome/screencam

I do not have any relationship with Lotus ScreenCam other than being an
impressed user.

Salette Latas
Technical Writer
salatas -at- micron -dot- com