RE: Resumes/Interviewing

Subject: RE: Resumes/Interviewing
From: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 11:38:12 -0500

Regarding Resumes, I sympathize with those who want longer resumes with lots
of information to help with the screening process. I know from my own
experience that when you have a lot of interest in a position, it is a
challenging and difficult task to weed out those who aren't worth
interviewing so you can concentrate on those who look worthwhile. I would
like to offer a different perspective.

My objective, as a prospective candidate, is to be "screened in," if you
will. I know that no matter how good my resume appears, I will not be
offered the job (which I may not want once I've finished the interview
process anyway). At most, a resume can only hurt me by causing me to be
screened out. Remember, though, that my objective is to get a foot in the
door. Only after we've met face-to-face do I have a chance of being offered
the job.

So I focus my efforts on determining what it takes to make that cut and get
the interview. My resume, which I rigorously keep to one page, is focused
on the job on offer. It is not a general purpose resume. It is my intent
to give you enough information so that you know I am someone you want to
interview.

Just as you find that your approach works (with a two-page or four-page or
whatever resume), I find that my approach works for me. I have shared it
with many people, and I have heard many good things from those who have
tried it.

However, I can't take credit for inventing anything. I learned what I know
from three sources: a job counselor I worked with when I was downsized at
one company, FortyPlus of Central Ohio, and using my writing training and
skills. In my view, a resume specifically focused on demonstrating that I
meet your needs gets me in the door. Then the interview process works its
way, and we either come to an understanding or we don't. But it seems to me
that I best demonstrate my writing ability by giving you enough, and only
enough, information to determine that you need to meet me.

That's why when people ask if I can do Marketing Communication, I say Yes.
I do it every time I conduct a job search.

Tom Murrell