RE: Resumes/Interviewing

Subject: RE: Resumes/Interviewing
From: "Kathi Jan Knill" <Kathi -dot- Knill -at- template -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 16:37:11 -0500

Joy said....
"It just struck me that this wouldn't have worked so well for me in 1987,
when ... in a lousy
job market/economy. Back then, I recall few jobs being listed at all. "
AND
"I do think a lot of us learned the vague, general resumes from a time when
no one wanted us. Does anyone else remember those harder times, and what it
was like to create a resume for
nobody in particular? Maybe I suffered alone!"

No, Joy you were not a lone sufferer. I too lived through that job market,
while just coming out of graduate school. I sent my share of blind resumes
and was lucky to have one noticed by KPMG Peat Marwick. (But that is
getting too off topic.)

I think that what you have said about taking advantage of our advances is
absolutely on the mark. But, weren't you also always taught "you don't have
to relive the past, but don't forget it and always be prepared for it to
come again?" I know I was.

So, hold on to the general resume and use the specific ones. There is no
one right way of doing things. You must be flexible and extensible.
Especially in resume writing, where in the end it comes down to two things:
1. who was looking for what/whom at what time and
2. when did your resume cross their desk!

Kathi Jan Knill
Sr. Technical Writer
Template Software
Kathi -dot- Knill -at- Template -dot- com
"A day without sunshine is like, night."

Training & consulting for RoboHELP, Dreamweaver, HTML, and HTML-Based Help.
More info at http://www.weisner.com/train/ or mailto:training -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-

Rely on ForeignExchange for responsive and professional
software localization and technical translation services.

---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: Kathi -dot- Knill -at- TEMPLATE -dot- COM