RE: Citing URL's, Emails in Documents, correspondence, screens

Subject: RE: Citing URL's, Emails in Documents, correspondence, screens
From: Brent L Jones <bjones -at- VersatileSoftware -dot- com>
To: "'Harry Bacheler'" <hbacheler -at- geo -dot- census -dot- gov>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 16:41:31 -0700

Harry Bacheler wrote on 02 December 1999 13:12:

> Is the accepted method to use "parentheses" to set off the URL, email
> address as shown here:
>
> (hbacheler -at- bigfoot -dot- com) or ( hbacheler -at- bigfoot -dot- com )
>
> or is it more appropriate to use the "<" and ">" characters,
> as shown here
>
> <hbacheler -at- bigfoot -dot- com> or < hbacheler -at- bigfoot -dot- com >

I'd use a type convention--different font from normal body text, different
font style such as italic, etc.--rather than some sort of character
delineation. I generally use a monospaced font like Courier for things like
directory paths and URLs, bolded for literal text and bolded+italicized for
variable text.

I always include a "Conventions" section in my front matter that details the
kind of information the various font styles in the document denote. I try to
not have too many conventions--only as many as I need to provide clarity,
without making the document too busy visually.

Cheers,
brent

--
Brent Jones, Documentation Manager