Re: Ever see this word used this way?

Subject: Re: Ever see this word used this way?
From: Sandy Harris <sharris -at- dkl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 15:35:04 -0500

John Posada wrote:

> I'm reading a document (System Design Specification)
> that I'm updating and I came across this sentence:
>
> "The processes described in the FRS* must be
> decomposed into software products, which run on the
> target hardware."
>
> Aside from some issues I have with the general
> wording, anyone ever see the word "decomposed" used
> this way?

I've certainly seen "decompose" used to describe the
stage of the software design process where you derive
module and interface specs from a higher-level spec.

My question wouldn't be about wording, but about the
notion that "processes" can be decomposed into "software
products". I suspect there might be a dangerous fallacy
lurking underneath the writer's assumptions.