References (was Re: Agencies

Subject: References (was Re: Agencies
From: Janet_Swisher -at- trilogy -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 18:27:56 -0600

Kevin McLauchlan wrote:
>I'm sure I'm not the only one who has worked many years at one
>company and another. So who do you use as employment reference
>when you currently WORK somewhere -- so you can't use anybody
>THERE, until you secure a new position and can reveal that you are
>leaving -- and any references from the previous place(s) are all
>ten years out of date, retired, moved, died or whatever?

If you've been at one place ten years, you've probably had supervisors or
peers who have left the company. If you've been careful to keep in touch,
you can use them. If you work for a large company, there may also be
folks who've transferred out of your division, and might be less likely to
"tell on" you, especially if you ask them not to.

Cheers,
Janet